Friday, February 10, 2017

Gel nails are perfect for me!

In my previous posts, I commented that I used the Gelish system.  In case you were wondering about Gelish, this post is going to be all about Gelish.

Now remember, I am a DIY nail person - no formal training, just watching a lot of youtube and paying attention in some great nail groups on Facebook.  I decided against acrylics because it looked waaaaay too hard.  So, I then researched gels.  When I was getting my nails done, my tech used IBD.  I found that a little too expensive for my budget.  I finally settled on Gelish because of their price and the ease of application (based on reviews).  This also meant that I must also purchase a curing lamp.  So that meant more research.  This is what I bought thru Amazon:
Perfect Summer Professional 36W UV LED Light Nail Dryer Curing Lamp for Gel Nail Polish ( Elegant Pink) 

NEW Gelish Complete Basix Gel Nail Polish Starter Kit Package - Base Top Remove 
This is everything you need to get started, well except for a color polish.  That was fine with me because I like to keep my nails clear and used color on top.

Here is my application and it works for me, but may need to be tweeked for someone else.

  1. Apply cuticle remover.  At the moment, I use Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover (purchased at Walgreens.)  Push back cuticles with either metal pusher or orange stick.  Also, push your nail to get some new nail growth removed.
  2. Wash hands with warm, soapy water.  Dry.  
  3. Use alcohol and a lint free wipe to wipe down nails or use Gelish Cleanse.  I use alcohol prep wipes that is used before getting injections.  I purchased a box of 200 at Walgreens for like $4.
  4. Shape nails with a file.  Also, lightly roughen entire nail, especially the sidewalls and new growth on nail bed.  
  5. Use alcohol to cleanse.
  6. From here, I deal with one hand.  Complete the rest of the steps on one hand.  
  7. Apply pH bond to each finger, making sure that the entire nail is covered.
  8. Apply pH bond to thumb.  Then apply Gelish Foundation to thumb.  Make sure to cap the free edge.  Cure in lamp according to your lamp.  
  9. Repeat step 8 with other fingers.
  10. Apply Gelish Top it Off to each finger.  Make sure to cap the free edge.  Cure in lamp according to your lamp.
  11. Top it Off has a tacky finish when cured.  Use alcohol lint free wipe or Gelish Cleanse to remove tacky finish.
  12. Repeat steps 7 - 11 to other hand.
  13. Apply Gelish Nourish or any cuticle oil to all fingers.
And, here is your Gelish clear manicure!  
Jan 23 2017 Right Hand

Jan 23 2017 Left Hand
Since using Gelish, my real nails have grown and are becoming stronger.  Just remember, DO NOT PEEL OFF THE GEL when you are ready for removal.  Soak a cotton ball in pure acetone and apply to finger.  Wrap in aluminum foil.  Leave for about 15 min.  Gel will either be going or easily removed with a cuticle pusher.  Plus, dont forget to moisturize and oil your nails every day.  If you can remember, do it more than once a day.  

Now, when I want to add color, I just polish over the top coat.  When removing the polish, use non-acetone remover and it will not harm the gel top coat.

I know I need improvement on application and clean up.  I get the gel too close to the cuticle and side walls.  I know with more practice, I will get it down.  Practice makes perfect, or in my case, practice makes a lot better.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you have an awesome day!
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment